Thursday 22 October 2015

baking treats from canned dog food

Well, so far it's been all good on Penny's (boring) new diet. I'm not sure she thinks it's boring, but I  do, so I'm thinking of ways to make the Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Low Fat Diet seem interesting.

As I mentioned previously, I've been putting it into a Nina Ottosson dog toy. That's fine, and it slows Penny down so much that she takes more than three minutes to get the food out of the toy. (Only half the recommended serve, because I'm boiling up a half serve of chicken and rice each time.)

Now I've come up with the idea of buying the same food in a can, and stuffing some into a Kong. I think Penny would vote this a good idea.


Also, I've baked some of the can into crunchy treats, which makes it easier to reward good behaviour and practise tricks.

The instructions on this site explain how to cut the top and bottom off a can and use the cut-off lid to push the food out slowly, in order to slice it evenly and thinly.


It's rather mushy food, so without the idea of pushing it out gently, I don't know how I'd have been able to make slices.


Here are the slices ready for baking.



I did them for about thirty minutes at 180°C. And after enduring the smell that humans would consider pretty awful, put them outside the house to cool down.



Today she sampled them, and seemed to love them. (On the other hand, she loves beef, kangaroo, chicken, rice, red peppers, banana, duck poo, possum poo, stinky buried bones, compost, and anything else you can suggest, so maybe it's not altogether surprising she liked my baked treats.)

4 comments:

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

I like the idea of stuffing it into the kong toy!

Molly the Airedale said...

Those baked treats sure do look yummy! Possum poo, huh? We bet that's really yummy too, Penny!

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

parlance said...

Lassie and Benji, I guess you too would enjoy getting every last morsel of food out of a Kong. I think they're a great toy.

parlance said...

Mitch and Molly, thank goodness Penny only eats poo from other species, not from dogs.