Wednesday 22 October 2014

Today: high bushfire danger. The temperature reached 31°C. Tomorrow's predicted weather: top of 22°C.

I think Dr Tim Entwistle is right. It's time we realised the 'seasons' we've inherited from Europe don't apply to Australian conditions. Today was summer and tomorrow is predicted to be spring. I'll start adding Dr Entwistle's Sprinter and Sprummer to my vocabulary. Or, perhaps I could investigate the traditional seven seasons of the earliest inhabitants of this area, the Wurundjeri people.
The Wurundjeri clan that inhabited the Melbourne area would often spend the summer months upon the banks of the Yarra and its tributaries. In winter, they would often head to the Dandenong Ranges (known as Banyenong) to make use of its timber for firewood and shelter. Wurundjeri divided their year into seven seasons rather than the familiar four. The arrival of a new season was based on the onset of a natural event such as the blooming of wattle or the first appearance of the blue wren.

As Penny and I drove home from another delightful Bowen session at Yarra Glen with Deb, we stopped at Warrandyte - lunch for me and a swim in the Yarra for Penny, seeing today was a foretaste of summer. We met some girls who'd seen a snake swimming in the river yesterday and I asked them whether the snake swam with its head up out of the water. They said it was flat on the surface of the water. It bothers me that if Penny saw a snake in the water she might think it was a stick and swim towards it.

But it wasn't likely there'd be any snakes around where we swam today, at a delightful little sandy beach, because of the...



horses!

Penny didn't even see them the first time she dashed into the water to collect the stick I threw.

It was only when she was shaking out her wet fur that she decided it might be a good idea to stay well back from these enormous dogs. (She hasn't been near horses before.)


Once I threw her stick back into the water she was off again, not in the least bothered by the horses.

Or the inquisitive ducks...


6 comments:

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

That's pawsome that Penny wasn't scared by the (huge dogs) horses!

Molly the Airedale said...

You have to be having the time of your life, Penny! Stay away from snakes! YUK!

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

parlance said...

Mitch and Molly, we'll be on high alert for snakes for the next six months!

parlance said...

Lassie, I'll bet you and Benji would not be scared of horses.

Johann The Dog said...

I love horses! We sometimes get to see them at agility trials and I always pull Mum there so I can say hi.

parlance said...

Johann, it's good to know you're okay with horses. I hope they are nice to you when you hurry across to say hello.