Sunday 16 June 2013

swelling after lipoma surgery

I'm glad Penny is going back to the vet tomorrow morning, because the stitches around her lipoma surgery don't look too good. (If our vet were open on a Sunday, I'd have taken her there today.)




For a couple of days now we've thought the spot was swelling, but today it's more obvious than it was.
Penny lying on her back, the swelling obvious after her lipoma surgery.

The swelling after the lipoma surgery looks horrible when she's standing.

A couple of things are reassuring, and help us to keep the worry at bay (until tomorrow morning!). One is the fact that Penny seems fine. Here she has taken herself outside this morning to enjoy the winter sunshine, the first we've seen in days.

Secondly, a look around the internet seems to show that this kind of swelling is not unusual, in humans or in dogs, after a lipoma is removed.  Most sites say it will resolve, even if it takes a long time. (I sure hope hot.) One recommends hot compresses.

Here's a short clip of a similar swelling on a man's back. 

I got brave and watched a video of a lipoma surgery. I only gagged once! It was amazing to see the surgeon lift out the lipoma in its own little sack of skin. Now I understand what my vet meant when he said they got it all and it was intact. 

Here's another vet talking on YouTube about fatty lipomas. Very informative and interesting, but if you watch, be warned that suddenly you might be watching him standing with a huge ball of fat in his hand and cutting it off a dog! 

3 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

We hope the swelling is less for you today, Penny. Our mom is too chicken to watch the videos!

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

parlance said...

Mitch and Molly, I don't know what came over me that I was able to watch those two videos. I surprised myself.

Sue said...

Our Mom thinks it's fluid that causes the swelling and that it will reabsorb. Our Mom isn't a doctor but she's had lots of practice with doggies following surgery.
Morgan, Sebastian, the Porties, Syd and Mac