Saturday 25 May 2013

a balm for sore paws in dogs

I've been searching Australian sites for Bag Balm every since Mitch and Molly mentioned it in a comment on my post about Penny's sore paws, but had no luck. But today I went into my favorite pet shop, Murphys, and asked if there might be an Australian equivalent. This is the most amazing store, with a great variety of toys, food, health items, grooming, and everything I've ever needed. (No, I don't have anything to do with the store except to be a satisfied customer, lol.)

The product I came home with - Deri-Sal - was quite expensive, but I'm glad to have it on hand for the future. I think I'd use it on myself, if I had a skin problem, even though it's advertised as being for animal treatment only. Here's a photo of it:



I took a close-up of the label so you could see the ingredients. They are not the same as Bag Balm ingredients, though.


Wondering about whether zinc oxide might be dangerous, I was reassured when I read this page.

NOTE Wednesday 29 May 2013: I have subsequently had some reservations about using this without a covering bandage, because Penny might lick it off. I'm going to consult my vet next time I take Penny for a visit.

2 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

That's awesome that you found an alternative, Penny! We hope your paws feel better very soon!

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

parlance said...

Mitch and Molly, it doesn't seem to be the same stuff, but I put it on Penny's paw and she didn't seem to mind, and she didn't lick it.