Tuesday 5 February 2013

labelling types of dog behaviours

Should we let passers-by know something about how our dogs will react to them?
At the Pet Expo the other day I saw a dog walking around with a collar and lead that said 'blind dog' and I automatically moved aside to give him and his human plenty of room.

Later I came across this dog sitting on one of the stands.


Okaayy... so he's friendly. Does that mean that when he's out and about, everyone should pat him? I think that might be the reaction of the public to seeing such labelling of his personality. I wouldn't want to take Penny walking in a harness like that.

On the other hand, at training it could be useful, because when she's 'working', she focuses closely on me and really doesn't like it if other dogs come within her workspace (ie within a few metres of her and me). She might benefit from the harness labelled 'no dogs'. 


I can see a role for these types of harnesses, but I have my reservations.



7 comments:

Lilli said...

It is hard. But it is harder when your friends has also a very difficult working times. Maybe there would be time I could see one of my friends but if I would like to see my both best friends at the same time (as we would all like to see each others) that's almost impossible.

And about those harnesses. I think some of them are really useful. Especially those "blind" and "deaf" ones and that "training" too :) And "adopt me" is wonderful for dogs seeking their forever home. But I wouldn't put "friendly" on my dog even though he would be friendly. That would just encourage people to come by and pat him all the time. Sometimes it's ok but I'm sure it would be annoying in some point.

-Lilli-

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

very interesting. I never saw collars and leashes like those. I don't think I would buy one -- but it is interesting.

parlance said...

Lilli, I agree with what you said on your own blog, and here, about how difficult it is to work unusual hours.

Also, I agree some of the harnesses are good but the 'friendly' one might cause trouble.

parlance said...

Lassie and Benjie, it was the very first time I had ever seen the harnesses, also. Someone told me they are mainly for dog-training classes.

Sue said...

Hmmm.. don't know what we'd say on our harnesses. It' something I'll keep in mind though.

parlance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
parlance said...

Sue, I think the appropriate comment for your dogs' harnesses would be "lucky to be so loved"...