Friday 28 September 2012

a tennis ball award a dog might have loved

I reckon Penny would have liked to visit this art exhibition by Nicholas Gray at the Melbourne City Library.



Here's what I think would have been her favorite piece.



I liked most of the works, but particularly the shiny box in this corner



with the magnifying glass embedded in the top.

Of course I looked in. Who wouldn't? It was like looking through a kaleidoscope.

 Here's what the artist said about this enjoyable exhibition:
An exhibition of paintings, collages, sculpture and installation. I've called my exhibition "Apt Experimental Art" because I have no particular style. I am greatly attracted to plastic and glue but I am not recycling. Rather I have a wish to repair the broken. With the spirit of a bowerbird I am a colourist and I love rainbows, colour wheels and optics. If you spin a colour wheel it goes 50 shades of gray, like my hair. Likewise, you can mix colours opposite on the colour wheel it produces gray. I once taught tertiary art students about colour. They said they had been told nothing previously, so using optical effects I am to create enduring pictures that are a pleasure to see on a blank wall. That's what I do. I hope you like these. "I became an artist because I shouldn't be Napoleon."

3 comments:

Oskar said...

Oh that tennis ball looks tempting!

Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar

parlance said...

Oskar, it was good show, but it's probably for the best that they didn't let dogs into the library, lol.

curator said...

That does look enjoyable...I wonder if I will see that artist over here.