Thursday 8 September 2011

walking at Yarra Bend on a lovely Spring day

When I arrived home this afternoon I was told that Penny had gone to Yarra Bend Park with one of her humans, so I jumped in my car to join them.
I parked partway along the path I thought they would take, and had the pleasure of seeing Penny realise I had arrived. Watching her race towards me was pure joy!



After walking on the flat for a while, we headed up a hill, which is good exercise for Penny to strengthen her left rear leg, the one that was operated on for a cruciate tear, almost exactly a year ago.



There were birds perched on a rock half-way up the hill, but they didn't seem to mind us walking towards them, until we got too close.





Walking past one of the eucalypts, we had a lesson in why the Australian bush burns so well. Just look at all those strips of flammable bark hanging down. Eucalypts need to burn to regenerate, and the strips of bark have the effect of allowing a grass fire to run up them and set the foliage on fire. (I'm not quite clear about this process, but I do make a point of clearing away all the hanging bark at my place in the hills.)



By the time we arrived back at the cars, nature had turned on a gorgeous sunset to make our walk complete.

6 comments:

curator said...

Oh my gracious, look at that huge smile on Penny's face! What a great pleasure to see these photos.

parlance said...

Curator, it makes us humans so happy to see our companion animals are happy. Aren't we a strange species?

BTW, just for you I added to my last post about the film Red Dog to let you know there was a Red Cat in it, lol. (Is it overly sceptical of me to think they just threw in a cat to the story so the cat lovers would go to see the film?)

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Great picture of you smiling! The birdies look nice and chubby -- guess they like the place too! What a nice adventure!

parlance said...

Lassiter Chase, I think the birds were swallows - or swifts, I don't know the difference - and they might have been waiting for passing dogs to disturb insects.

Unknown said...

Oh - gorgeous sunset shot! And I love the one of Penny with the birds no a rock - look at that big grin! But yes, I think the best is that action shot of her delighted run to greet you!

Hsin-Yi

parlance said...

Hsin-Yi, I'm glad you liked the photo! I'm playing with my new camera and it's so easy to use.