Wednesday 23 February 2011

eucalypts drop branches when you don't expect it

When we were in Darebin Parklands the other day, we met some people at the big pool in the bend of the creek and stood discussing the recent floods.

Crack! A branch dropped straight down from one of the trees around the edge of the pool. No warning except that infamous sound.

A young boy and his pup had been standing there only moments before.



Of course, inquisitive Penny (and her humans) went over to have closer look. Probably not too intelligent, but we were working on the theory that lightning doesn't strike twice in the same spot.



It seems that it's not known why some trees (not just eucalypts) unexpectedly drop limbs.I haven't found any information on the internet about the actual process of dropping the limb but here is an interesting article. I took a couple of closeups of the end of the branch, and I don't know if it looks as if there is any particular disease at that spot.





And a shot of the place it dropped from, high up the trunk.



As we wandered further through the park, we came across an even bigger branch that had dropped previously.

4 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

That's a big branch to just suddenly fall! Thank goodness the youngster and his pup weren't hurt.
Does the branch smell as potents as the leaves do, Penny? Mom loves the smell of eucalyptus.

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

parlance said...

Maggie and Mitch, to be quite honest, the smell of eucalyptus is so prevalent here that often I don't notice it. I remember one time when I was in Greece and we stopped near a roadside cafe with eucalypts and I raced over and inhaled and inhaled the familiar, beautiful scent.

Mary said...

Parlance, once I was in Hawaii and we spent the night in a eucalyptus forest and we were all excited by the 'home' smell. It was so strong, you are right, we don't really notice it here.
Maggie and Mitch, I too have seen branches fall, unexpectedly, and, no, they don't seem to smell particularly strong.

parlance said...

Mary, I guess they may smell more strongly as they die. I've noticed that flowers sometimes smell strong when they are cut and in a vase.