Sunday 16 November 2008

dogs train for film work

Today the K9 Kompany presented a series of demonstrations for the public at the Lilydale show.

Penny and I took part in two types of demonstration - Ideal Dog of Australia and All Sports.

But we were onlookers at the highlight of the day, Animal Actors, because we're not in that class.

It was interesting to see how the tricks we're learning in All Sports could be developed into film work. Cindy and two students demonstrated that dogs need to learn to do tricks at a distance because the trainer can't be visible in the film.

A small piece of tape on the floor marked the nearest point the trainer was allowed to approach the dog during filming. I've taken a shot here from a different angle, showing the trainer's hand at right - you can see the dog watching her.



The story behind the filming was that Cindy was reading the paper and the dogs would try to get her attention. One of the dogs jumped up on the couch with her, barked and laid its head on her leg. When all this failed, it pushed a roller across in front of her.




In this shot the trainer is not in view - this is how the shot would appear in a film.

4 comments:

Amber-Mae said...

This is just too cute!!! Wish I was there to watch the whole act. I've just started learning a new trick lat evening. Look right & look left on command. Hehe!

Back to my BOOGIEself,
Solid Gold Dancer

Johann The Dog said...

Wow, the demos look like a lot of fun! Very cool! Mum's going to work on doing those tricks at a distance, farther and farther and...

Thanks, Johann

parlance said...

Amber-Mae, I'd love to see you looking right and left on command. Your tricks are a pleasure to watch. I think my very favorite one is where you look sad on command. That is brilliant.
I'm coming over to your blog now to see how you are getting on with your bowel problem. I hope I'll hear that you are already much better.

parlance said...

Johann, after reading your blog I have a vision of you way down the road doing super clever things while your mum lies on a comfortable reclining chair in the front garden giving the occasional hand signal to keep you working.